I usually don’t like to make Paleo Basic items. I think it’s more convenient if I just buy it from the store. Ghee, on the other hand, is something that I enjoy making. The first reason is the store charges you a lot for a small container of ghee. I cook with ghee like its running water and by that rate, I would be broke buying ghee from the store.
Don’t let the cooking time scare you off. You literally don’t do anything, its a 5-minute prep and then you just wait. It makes the house smell delish, like a sweet caramelized candy. 8 Sticks of ghee make about 3-4 mason jar of ghee. It lasts me for 3-6 months. I love it, and i fae
- Metal Mesh Strainers (x3) or Cheesecloth
- Uncovered Dutch Pot or Stainless Steel Pot (can be put into the oven)
- 8 Sticks Unsalted Butter (2 lb) – Frozen or Room Temperature
- Lower the oven rack to fit the pot
- Preheat the oven to 250 degree
- Place 8 sticks evenly into the dutch oven pot uncovered
- Place dutch oven pot into the oven and cook for about 4 hrs or until solids are golden brown
- Line the fine mesh strainer, and with cheesecloth
- Take dutch oven out and leave to cook for 15 mins
- Pour into a large bowl with the strainer and cheesecloth over it, discard the solids
- Scoop the ghee using a soup cooking spoon to pour purified butter into tight seal-able containers
- Leave to cool before refrigerated. Some people don't refrigerate it, it can last for 3 months. Refrigerated ghee can last up to 1 year.